Thursday, September 25, 2008

You're Only as Old as You ... Listen?

I was talking with a colleague of mine today and somehow we got on the topic of music and I described an artist as emo (I forget now who it was) and despite the fact that she is at least ten years younger than me (perhaps fifteen), she said "What's emo?" Well, I named a few emo bands (none of which she had heard of) and ultimately said "Well, its sort of post-grunge." And she said "Grunge?"

She then told me that that was how she knew she had gotten old. She no longer listened to or cared about new music. In her view, there was nothing on the radio worth hearing and she spends most of her time listening to music she already owns. Is that a definition of old? I guess...

By that count, I am certainly not old. I'm always listening for new music, and quite frequently really liking what I hear..But, I do admit to feeling somewhat creepy (and definitely old) when I think about the age of some of the artists that I like. I felt that way about Avril Lavigne's first album and feel that way again about Paramore. But I can't help it, even though Haley Williams is not yet 20, that band frikkin' rocks.

Really, though, what does it matter? If someone thinks that my age (44 btw) makes me old, the fact that I listen to Paramore isn't going to change their mind. Old is just a label that I can put on myself (like my colleague has) or that other people can put on me. It doesn't affect who I am, or how I feel, or how I live my life.

Or what music is on my iPod.

No comments: