Friday, September 19, 2008

Of Raw Fish and Fast Food

There's a new "fast food" sushi restaurant near work. I've been hesitant to try it, because for one, I already have a carry out sushi place near work, and for two, it seemed extremely corporate--a sort of McDonald's with raw fish. The place that I usually go to is a very Mom and Pop sort of place or maybe two brothers and a daughter... in any event, very much a family operation. I like them, they know me, and the sushi chef there has an uncanny knack for keeping everyone's order in his head. Seriously, no matter how busy they are, I've never seen him write anything down.

So anyway, as curiosity overcame me and I decided to finally try the new place, I felt somewhat unfaithful as I entered the slick and eye popping newness of "Wasabi To Go." Now I try very hard not to be sexist, but the first thing I noticed is that there were three young women behind the counter. This was not a good sign, as I know the Japanese culture is pretty sexist and for the most part, women are not taught to be sushi chefs. I also try very hard not to be culturally biased, but I also took it as a bad sign that two of the three young women working there were not Japanese, but Hispanic.

Well, the sushi lived down to my greatly diminished expectations. The rolls were made on, get this, a MACHINE!!! All the sushi "chef" did was put the ingredients down in order. All the fish had been pre sliced and spending god knows how long losing its flavor.

The lesson here must be that "There is value in loyalty." Or something like that.

No comments: