Friday, September 26, 2008

Bumper Sticker Politics

I don't want to make this a blog about politics, but it is election season and I'm bound to see things that make me think. And things that make me think, I want to share with you all. So, with that said, I saw this bumper sticker:

"Jesus was a community organizer and Pilate was a governor"

Now there is undoubtedly a partisan message in this slogan, but I'm really less concerned about that and more interested in what it points out about drawing conclusions on about a candidate based on one or two characteristics. Certainly, Obama is not Jesus and Palin is no Pilate. But hammering Obama because a big hunk of his previous experience is as a community organizer seems just as shallow as suggesting that Palin's experience as a wife and mother doesn't make up part of her qualifications to lead.

Ultimately, you need to know as much as you can about the whole person before you decide who is right to lead the most powerful nation on earth. What cynical political machinery assumes about you, is that you are willing to reduce candidates to cardboard cut outs with only one characteristic. The machinery banks on the fact that you will vote based on their caricatures. The machine assumes that you don't care enough to look farther.

Rage against the machine.

No comments: