Saturday, January 9, 2010

How I did.

Well, Dear Reader, I am long since returned from R&R and thought I'd provide you an update on how I did running down the things that I miss from the U.S. while I was home.  So here they are in order:

  • A well poured pint of Guiness - I had a decent (but not great) pint at Champp's Sports Bar in Pentagon City.  What it may have lacked in quality, I absolutely made up for in quantity.  Thanks to all of YDS's friends who met for many pints and sports bar type food.  Well enjoyed.
  • Sushi - YDS's brother in law took him to an excellent sushi bar in Virginia Beach and introduced him to white tuna.  Absolutely amazing, a great restaurant and great company.
  • Good mexican food - Had a great meal and great fun with Skippy Jr. at Mexico Restaurant.  There was balloon sculpture and really good salsa, so everyone was happy.
  • Good chinese food - Eat Rice carry out near my sister's house.  A nice meal with YDS's sister and her family.
  • A nice restaurant (of any sort) - Satisfied this jones by drinking with a dear friend at the The Jefferson's recently renovated bar.
  • A great Southern breakfast - McLean's with the author of Greg's Alien.  Salt herring and eggs.  Biscuits and gravy.  If it weren't for the fact that we talked for an hour afterward, I wouldn't have been able to move.
  • Rain - It rained a lot while we were at Virginia Beach.  Lots of my favorite misty foggy type rain.  Check and checked well.
  • Fall - It was late fall, with a lot of leaves already down, but still fall.  Check.
  • A good orthoepaedic mattress - Not so much.  My parents have a decent bed in their guest bedroom, but not great.  I still miss my mattress.
  • College football on at the right time of day - Oh yeah.  Although Skippy Jr. did not believe it was a good use of my time. 
  • A massage - My parents had a therapist all lined up to greet me the first day I was home.  It really helped unkink after the long long trip.
  • Sundays as part of the weekend - This was certainly true, but it wasn't a big deal, because I was on vacation the whole time.  Hee hee.
  • A sports bar - The aforementioned Champp's where we happened on the replay of the UNC v. Stanford semi final in women's soccer, which I did not know the outcome of, so it was almost as good as watching live.
So there you have it, Dear Reader, an R&R full of checking off the list.  YDS was pretty successful and had a great R&R.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The well poured pint of Guinness is an art form, but only as good as it's often drawn from a friendly tap, where you walk in and they yell "Skippy, great to see you," and the pint is already settling, waiting for the finished delivery to your location.

I've got just the spot for you next time you are in SF. Lately, I've been doing the modified black and tan - Stout on the top, Racer 5 IPA on the bottom. Try it if you have the resources nearby. It's delicious.

Sushi - I would imagine Skippy Jr. is happy to munch on. My smallest's fav is the sushi joint on the corner just down the hill from our flat.

Good Mexican always depends heavily on the proximity of good Mexicans. We've got about 100 great choices, & next time you are in town, we can hit them like pub doors in Dublin.

In regards to the remainder of your post, I would concur on the massage. Get one, or many, often.

Matresses, I would suggest that there are none finer than a McRoskey made right here in SF. It's pricey, but over the life of your back, it's worth it. We have one that I always love coming home to: http://www.mcroskey.com/

Cheers, and may it rain on you.

Good Twin said...

Biscuits and gravy...excellent choice. :-)