Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Things that I miss

Your Darn Skippy will soon be headed back to the world (ie. back to the States) for some well earned R&R.  As I look forward to that, I'm trying to think of the things that I miss most about the United States.  A common theme stood out to me, and I wonder if it will to you as well, Dear Reader.

A caveat:  the thing that I miss the most, is not a thing at all.  It is (he is?) my dear sweet son, Skippy, Jr.  I miss him so terribly that I'm not sure that I dare plunge the depth of that emotion.  It is probably better to let that sleeping dog lie, at least until there is some comfort of distance.  So other than Skippy, Jr. here are the things I miss.

  1. A well poured pint of Guiness
  2. Sushi
  3. Good mexican food
  4. Good chinese food
  5. A nice restaurant (of any sort)
  6. A great Southern breakfast
  7. Rain
  8. Fall
  9. A good orthoepaedic mattress
  10. College football on at the right time of day
  11. A massage
  12. Sundays as part of the weekend
  13. A sports bar
I guess the common theme only holds through the first four, but it's sort of obvious and it was the same way that I felt about missing the US when I was posted overseas for two years.  One of the absolute best things about the United States is the easy access to ethnic delicacies.  A Guiness, sushi, mexican food.  Ahh. 

Not all at once, of course.  Although Guiness does pair well with sushi.

I can't wait to be home.

3 comments:

Greg said...

First! And "home" can't wait for Skippy!If you have time, I'm up for a meal with Skippy. If Skippy spends all of his time with Skippy Jr. while he's here, that's OK too!

Stevo said...

Wish I could have some sushi with YDS upon arrival. Tell Skippy Jr. we said "HEY!" It will be MUCH fun when we can get together our children together again. MISS U MUCH!!

Unknown said...

If you find yourself near me, I know a few good spots to get a fresh pint of Guinness which will refresh your soul as well as your spirits. Drop me a line if you make it through the neighborhood.